Thursday, February 26, 2009

Old World cities' origin myths

It struck me that this faulty method of understanding North American history (or New World history in general) is that the reason we question it is because the people it displaces are around to complain about it -- or for "us" to feel guilty about. Romans displaced previous cultures, but Rome's origin myth is not subjected to scrutiny. Had fragments of those cultures and peoples survived, I'm sure talk of Rome having been the founded by twin sons of Mars that were suckled by a she-wolf would be challenged.
I'm going to explain what I mean by this in my next post, but the next five hours of my life will be sacrificed to last-minute paper writing. My apologies and check back soon for the full version of my comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment